- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
HANDFEEDING AND WEANING
While this is not intended as a comprehensive set of instructions, this general plan describes the basics of hand-feeding and weaning. It is important to have a gram scale to monitor the chick's weight.
- Use a high quality hand feeding formula such as Harrison's (harrisonsbirdfoods.com).
- Feed the bird 10cc per 100 grams body weight per feeding at 7 AM, 5 PM and 11PM until it reaches 35 days old.
- At 35-44 days old, feed the bird at 7 AM and 7 PM at 10 cc per 100 grams until 45 days old.
- At 45 days old, feed at 7 PM until weaning at 10 cc per 100 grams.
- Make sure the room the bird is in is kept at is 90 F.
- Make sure to heat formula to 105 F and measure with candy thermometer, warm in water bath (no microwave).
- Do not reuse formula, make it fresh each time.
- Follow instructions on the packaging for dilution.
- Keep the chick on paper towels, not corncobs or wood shavings.
- Pelleted foods (again, Harrison's) are best. Offer the pellets along with dark green leafy vegetables (not fruits or seeds) on a flat tray rather than a bowl. Having the bird out and working with it in a foraging manner is an excellent way to teach it to eat on it's own.
|Saturday||8:00||12:00; Also, 4 pm Boarding Pick-up|
|6:00||6:00||6:00||6:00||6:00||12:00; Also, 4 pm Boarding Pick-up||Boarding Pick-up|