YVCipedia LASER THERAPY
- We perform laser acupuncture: in place of needles, we stimulate Chinese acupuncture points with our therapy laser.
- The procedure is painless; there is none of the pain and anxiety sometimes associated with the use of acupuncture needles. There are no side effects.
- We create a prescription of acupoints and a treatment plan for each patient. For some patients the prescription will change as the treatment plan progresses.
- Other than acupuncture, we do not practice Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine. We use Western veterinary medical diagnoses and treatments.
- Problems that can be treated with laser acupuncture include, but are not limited to: arthritis, chronic respiratory, heart, skin, and kidney diseases, diabetes, constipation, obesity, etc.
- We can treat cats, dogs, birds, rabbits, reptiles, rodents, and ferrets with laser acupuncture. We have not yet figured out how to treat fish with acupuncture.
- A laser acupuncture session typically lasts 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the number of points in the prescription. The session takes place in our treatment area, away from the pet's owner. Some of our clients wait for their pet, and others will drop their pet off with us for awhile.
- A typical treatment plan for a chronic health problem (for example, arthritis, chronic respiratory disease, chronic skin disease, etc) starts with 1 or 2 sessions weekly for 4 weeks. Some pets show signs of improvement after the first treatment; some do not show improvement until the 4th week, so we believe it is important to commit to 4 weeks of treatment to learn if acupuncture will help. If there is no response by the end of the initial 4 weeks then it is very unlikely acupuncture will help. If there is a positive response, we can continue at this frequency of sessions or try gradually tapering how often we perform treatment.
- The cost of each laser acupuncture session is $50, regardless of the problem treated or the acupuncture prescription used. (The actual price may be slightly different, and will be quoted to the client when the first session is scheduled.)
- A session includes only the laser acupuncture. It does not include a doctor exam (other than what is necessary to perform the laser acupuncture) or consultation in the exam room or by phone with the pet owner. We are always glad to do an exam or consult; our regular exam and consult fees apply, and these services are scheduled separately from the laser acupuncture session. They can be scheduled immediately before or after a session, or at a different time.
Yarmouth Veterinary Center